Wednesday, September 16, 2009

London Daze






















Ok, I am getting used to the youth hostel. Used to not sleeping that is.....I thought night number one was an oddity, an adjustment to the time change, the coffee, the new place. But night number two was more of the same........Six strangers in a room, coming and going at different times, coughing, snoring (not me), cell phones going off, squeeky floors and noisy streets. The rest of it is great! Hot showers, clean facility, perfect location, friendly people, blah blah blah. I think tonight we will sleep, as I had no nap today and Molly is out at a pub crawl and probably drinking beer instead of coffee......

The last couple days have flown by. We rushed off to try to see Hairspray at the last minute our first night.....due to the undergroung ("tube") having a break down, we arrived too late to get tickets and no amount of whining got those high and mighty, proper, British staff to budge.......oh well, we went to another theatre and saw Chicago. Now that staff was much more generous and even upgraded our tickets to better seats! It always works out in the end................ahhhh. Great musical, sexy dancing, familiar story.POP!

Our first full day it poured..........that is London, I guess. Not just a little rain, but absolutely buckets of water dumping from the dark sky. We hid from the rain in Harrod's for awhile. Looked at the gorgeous food halls, where the groceries are twice the price of Haggen's, but so beautifully displayed you want to pay the price.....Molly was overwhelmed by the prices of designer clothing, $350 pound (like $500US) shoes.....$2,000 pound necklaces......argh. We even heard they had designer kitties and puppies on the top floor, but unfortunately we missed those.

Thinking the rain had lightened to a drizzle, we headed to Hyde Park so Molly could do a run and I would walk around the gardens.....drizzle turned to rain, turned to pouring, turned to buckets. We got soaked for the first time that day and came back to the hostel to dry our clothes in the laundry....got dry clothes and headed back out to promptly get soaked a second time.......we hung our coats at the theatre and took off shoes so they could dry while watching "Thriller".

"Thriller" was being put together prior to MJ's death and came out shortly after. Since we had wanted to see MJ in London, we thought this was a good, but sad, alternative. The show had a young MJ singing with the Jackson Five and an older one doing the dance moves and singing karaoke to Bad and Thriller and Billy Jean. No one can sing and dance like MJ.....nobody in the whole of England could be found. The closest they got was a dancer from Los Angeles.....amazing. There was so much crotch grabbing in the last dances, I had to get up and do it myself..............wasn't alone in my actions. Somehow, I can still embarrass my daughter.

Last theatre act was today at the Apollo Victoria for Wicked. This is a new production and the story of OZ before Dorothy showed up.....absolutely amazing stage design and outstanding performances and singing. But, it was the story I really enjoyed...I didn't know the Wicked Witch of the West started off as a sweet and caring women and that Glenda's real name was Galendala.......hahaha

We met some guys last night in the hostel community room that are from California and Australia. They are Molly's age and only talked to me to get to her, I am sure......whatever. Anyways, they hatched a plan to go to an organized pub crawl tonight and included us (only to get to Molly I am sure) so I graciously declined and let her head out without me.....we did get cell phones over here so we can get in touch with each other and I interviewed the guys thoroughly and toughly......I will wait up for her.........or join them later..................