Saturday, September 19, 2009

Viva la Vida
















After the disturbing nights sleep (or lack thereof), Molly and I got on the road with our new bestfriends from California, Hunter and Brandon. Yes, I am hanging out with 20 year olds........but I am holding my own!

We took the tube the Heathrow, the bus to Windsor and arrived at 3:30.......late start to the day after the late pub crawl night......had a pasty in Windsor (not the kind strippers use) the cornish pastry found everywhere stuffed with whatever you might like.......then we jetted up to Windsor Castle for a nice tour through the chapel, the staterooms and the halls where the Queen and her family vacation.....no one was there at the time. I was hoping Molly might meet Prince Harry.....oh well.

Walked all over Windsor, a cute little town with cobblestone streets and little shops right on the Thames. Nice day, but chilly. Molly borrowed my coat so, unfortunately, I had to buy a new sweater. I am really trying to refrain from my shopping addiction, but as you can guess, that is extremely hard in the worlds fashion capital......the only thing that holds me back is the memory of my 45 pound suitcase..................argh.

The four of us went to the grocery store and bought stuff for dinner and our own wine, beer etc to have back at the youth hostel. We cooked, drank and visited with all the guests in the downstairs kitchen. I headed to bed at midnight and Molly rolled in at 2:30. It was the best nights sleep we had gotten, although Buenos Aires Snoring girl had left.

Friday was a day of leisure. Molly went running with Brandon in Hyde Park. I took the tube to Kew Gardens as recommended by my mom. Got there fine, but wandered aimlessly trying to find the gardens because I hadn't read the tourist map at the tube station (I am getting "cocky"~a British term?) I started asking people where the gardens were........with the blank stairs I received, I thought maybe there really was no garden at all. I wondered if the city was called Kew Gardens and I had misunderstood what mam (mom) said..........after an hour of walking around the town, very pleasant, I finally found the formal gardens right behind the tube station. Celebrating their 250th year, it is the home of the Kew Palace, the Queens gardens and is vast and lovely.

We rejoined at The Blackbird Tavern for lunch and said good byes to the boys.....they were off to Brussels and we are off to COLDPLAY in Wembley.

Molly and I arrived at the Wembley Stadium at 4:00. The bands started at 5:30. We listened to White Lies, Girls Aloud, Jay-Z and then the headliners. Coldplay was amazing, loud, wild displays of fireworks, balloons, confetti, video and on and on. It was the biggest concert I have ever been to. 70,000 fans. London being their hometown, the crowd was happy and supportive. They did all there songs....VIVA LA VIDA. I was so excited to be there enjoying the experience of such an amazing artist.

We are packed and ready to head to Amsterdam tonight. We are taking a train/overnight ferry combination and arrive tomorrow. If I don't post anything for awhile it is because I have been visiting the coffeehouses. If I do post something, it might be a bunch of abstract ramblings:)