Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Seeing Eye Daughter
















There is a pattern to all big cities. The train station, the old city. the river, the plaza, the outdoor cafes, Gallerie Lafayette. Lyon proved no different. A city of 450,000 or so, it reminded me of Seattle without the old part and the church in the center. Besides, it was raining.

Molly had been visiting her friend Lucie here for 3 days. She was having a blast, socializing with other teens, being treated like the guest of honor and shopping. I came in by train to meet her and carry on with our travels. I arrived early enough to explore for the day, but I was so tired from lack of sleep, I had to take a nap first. Enjoyed a semi-luxury hotel with a comfortable bed and fell promptly asleep.

I eventually got up and headed out while it was daylight to see the old city and get something to eat. Unlike the U.S., it is hard to find a meal at 4:00 in the afternoon. Most restaurants close around 3 and reopen at 7.....I had hit the "dead zone". The shops too often close. They close at night. They are closed Sundays and close early on Saturdays. I guess they don't care about customer surveys or marketing or convenience........or maybe they are just better planners......whatever, I finally found a restaurant to serve me Moussaka and Biere and then I had the energy to climb a hill of switchbacks and stairs to the church in the center of the city from which you can see everything.

I couldn't see much though. I had lost a lense in Montpellier from my glasses........I can't see distance at all without...........the city was a blur of red roofs, a ribbon of blue and buildings going on for ever.......mixed in with the rain showers, all I really got was excercise and some pictures....I will be able to see the pictures better than the real thing....I need to figure out how to get new glasses for the rest of the trip. Molly will have to be my "seeing eye daughter".