Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lost in Krabi






















After the party town of Patong Beach, I longed for some solitude and peace. I had booked the next 5 days at a resort in Ao Nang, Krabi. I thought it was down the road on Phuket Island, but it turned out to be across the sea from Phuket on the mainland and I was left with figuring out how to get there…….I have learned a lesson to do better research before trusting Expedia.com.


We woke early, early, one morning, after a late night watching soccer, listening to live music and trying to keep up with Molly. By the way, Thai people love to sing and do it well. I know our friend Cookie is an amazing singer, the karaoke singers in Bangkok were pretty good and this band was great fun. The two lead women singers were rockers! Like Tina Turner and Joan Jett…….could do a good Micheal Jackson too. Anyways, with that behind us, we left to Phuket town to take a ferry to Ao Nang.


The ferry was packed with tourists heading to other islands in the area. I lathered up in sunscreen and slept on the deck, while Molly slept inside. I saw beautiful islands and white sandy beaches when I awoke. The islands jet up out of the water with sharp cliffs. I saw hundreds of long tail boats and many fisherman. We arrived in Ao Nang and grabbed a taxi to our resort. The taxi driver took us all over the Krabi Province looking for our hotel. I was thinking that an address meant nothing to the driver and then I realized maybe he couldn’t read an English address, maybe he could only read Thai. He made some phone calls and one hour later, we arrived almost back to where we started, 10 minutes from the ferry dock.


The Andamanee Boutique Resort is a sweet place. Although it might not suit Molly’s needs , it sure will suit mine. For about $60 a night, we have a lovely room off the pool and there is only two other rooms in the small resort occupied. We have had the swimming pool all to ourselves, 5 staff members at our beck and call, complimentary breakfast and shuttle service and a bathtub and bathrobes in the closet! This is the first time I had worn a bathrobe in months! If there weren’t so many other beautiful places to see, I would be content to live at the resort for the week and go no where.