Friday, December 11, 2009

Tuk Tuck





































We left the hotel by taxi early to see the sights of Bangkok. The city is so big, it is virtually impossible to walk from place to place. But taxis are amazingly inexpensive and another form of transportation is called a tuk tuk. We taxied to the Grand Palace and then took a tuk tuk ride around to see other sights. Molly and I thought we had handed our life over to the hands of the Buddha God of Traffic. More than once we saw our life flash before our eyes, as the tuk tuk swerved in and out of cars, motorbikes and busses, sometimes driving into oncoming traffic to make a quicker route. Faster than the rickshaws in Beijing, a tuk tuk runs on gasoline and has a small battery. I think it had 3 wheels and the driver sat alone with passengers in the back covered area. They are everywhere.

I didn’t hear until too late that the tuk tuk drivers will actually take advantage of you. I believe the driver gets a kickback when he brings tourists to shops where purchases can be made. It was so like my China tour, except here, the mission was subtle and we fell right into the trap. We stopped at a tailors shop “best in Bangkok”, we stopped at a jewelry shop “best in Bangkok”, we stopped at a travel agency “best in Bangkok” and finally I figured out what was going on. I agreed to go to one more tailor shop “best in Bangkok” and then said no more and had him take us back to the Grand Palace. Looking back, I could see how the whole situation was set up for us. Argh.

Not only that, but I fell victim to the pressure of the second tailor shop and got started looking at fabric and designs and got sucked right in to master plan. After missing out on the personal tailoring experience in Shanghai a couple years ago, I wanted to try this custom of made to order clothing, so I really have no regrets. With 3 salesmen to every customer, it is hard to say no. I picked out a marino wool fabric and satin lining for a suit. I picked out a raw silk in a beautiful gold color for a dress. I was measured (Full body) and measured and went back later that night for a fitting and adjustment. The tailor tucked here and there and marked and pinned. I will pick up my treasures when we return to Bangkok on the 20th and hope they fit perfect.