Thursday, December 3, 2009

Scrabble






























After the hike around the real Monemvasia, I planned to get use of my little yellow rental car to drive to the other side of the peninsula to the town of Neapoli. We shifted gears, but not literally, as the car battery was dead.........sh*&!

Calmly, I opened the hood and tried to start the car, thinking someone might notice and attempt help. Again, no one was around. I went in and asked the hotel lady if she might help, but her only offering was when her husband came home that evening. Hmmm. Not really the best at changing the plans in my head, I wanted to go now and I also wanted to know the car would start.

I headed out on foot to find a gas station or something, bringing Molly along as my enticement. We found no gas station, asked a taxi driver, went to a rental car place, no help. Almost ready to try the police station, I saw two handsome greeks out having coffee at a bar....they were young enough for the Molly bait to work. I asked if they spoke English, one did some, I communicated our problem, the men rambled on in Greek, one left, came back, we all got in the car and drove to the little yellow rental car and they successfully jumped it for us. Yeah! We thanked them overwhelmingly and I insisted on giving them 10 euro for beer. We were off.

I had a much nicer drive in the sunshine. No skid marks on the road. We made it Neapoli, had a late lunch, walked along the breakway, saw the sunset and drove back to our hotel in Gefrya. With nothing much to do that night, we went to a small bar for a glass of wine and to play backgammon.

Backgammon is very popular in Greece. I bought a small board in Athens and have taught Molly to play. She has started to beat me, so I will have to think of a new game now. At the bar, they had lots of games. We played cards and then tried Scrabble. It was in Greek! Argh. We tried to play, laughing mostly, but the letters were different and the number of letters was different. I asked why it wasn't in English and the bar owner rolled his eyes.