Thursday, November 26, 2009

Bellinis and Tirimasu


We left Italy in style, as it seems to be a place where style is important and to do as the Romans do, we left in style.

We returned to Rome for one last night before flying out. I booked a nice room at the Yes Hotel (YES!) and we headed out for a light dinner. I was told to have a Bellini in Italy. We did....a wonderful cocktail of sparkling wine and fresh pureed peaches, it went down like a lemonade on a hot day. I could have had five more without being satisfied, but at 7 euro a pop, I stopped at one. Molly stuck to her grilled vegetable plate for dinner and I had a bowl of minestrone. We splurged on dessert.


Molly picked out two desserts, a star shaped chocolate pastry with whipped cream accents and rich chocolate drizzles and a traditional tirimasu (for her mom). Mmmmmmmmmm. The tirimasu was overwhelmingly soft, creamy, liquor soaked caked on the bottom, grated chocolate on the top. I could feel my arteries clogging, but if I were to have a heart attack and die at that moment, I would go out happy and in style.