Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Molly's 19th Birthday NIGHT in Vienna, Austria
















Molly's birthday falls on a Sunday this year. Why are all the stored closed in Vienna on Sundays? What is wrong with this city and country and continent, that they DO NOT THINK LIKE THE U.S.? Oh, I think they have something on us, they are smart......to have a day with no shopping pressures, no errands can be done, nothing can be accomplished except maybe going out to a nice meal, possibly a museum, family time, park time, but definately no shopping....not even grocery shopping......only the Turkish grocer is open today.........the whole city of Vienna is closed for retail therapy. A mandatory day off for shopaholics.

No worries about this cultural phenomenom except that I was going to bake brownies for Molly's birthday party, find some balloons and maybe some candles. Nada. Always have a Plan B, and if you don't have one, quickly make one up. I found the only patisserie in a 10 mile radius and bought enough creme puffs for about 20 people. I went into the Turkish grocer and bought some a couple bottles of champagne. I had a secret plan to have a birthday party regardless of the fact we didn't have a real cake, no candles and most of our new best friends had travelled on to another destination in the early hours, so we didn't really know anybody.

We thought about going out to dinner, but didn't. Had bread and hummus and water.......kind of felt like a last supper. We played cards for awhile in the common area, I tried to let Molly win since it was her birthday. When the hostel common area was sufficiently busy and crowded, I announced a birthday party. I brought out glasses and plates, dished up runny cream puffs and beer steins of champagne to strangers. I taught the group the "Red Robin" theme song for birthdays, had all the men kiss Molly and the night was out of my hands after that. It just took the gate being opened for the flood to come.

The hostel group rallied and we all went down the street at about midnight to continue celebrating at the hostel called "Wombats".....whose bar stays open until 3. I had one beer with the group and left Molly and her peers to carry on without me. I think she had a good night, but you would have to ask her. Just don't wake her up before 1:00 in the afternoon, as she didn't get in until 6.