Monday, November 30, 2009

Cappacino, Spinach Pie and Moussaka






















Darren and Molly rolled in again very, very late. Actually, Darren didn't exactly roll in at all....I found him outside our studio door at 8:00 am, sleeping on his shoes......well, that is a whole nother other story.......and best told by Darren:) So, because of their late entrance, I left them sleeping and took off early to the Sunday flea market.

I am hooked on a new diet.... I think that Greek food might go down as my favorite. I have found a european version of Cafe Vienna International~this european instant coffee is really cool because it has chemicals in it that make it foam up like a real cappacino! So that is my new morning drink, when possible. Now in Athens, I have decided the hostel breakfast of hardboiled eggs and tomatoes is not as good as the spinach pie down the street. Nothing like a big triangle of phyllo, feta and spinach in the morning. I feel so Greek....

I wandered the flea market. The garage sale central for bored Athenians. I did not buy one single thing, but I had fun exploring and people watching and seeing all the junk. Junk is universal. It seems to be the same type of junk no matter what country you are in. Old junk. Some of the Greek junk is from China, the Hungary junk is from China, the French junk is from China. The candlesticks look the same everywhere I go. The jewerly is costume jewelry. The best stuff today was the furniture, of which none I could carry home in my bag.

I went back to wake my kids and found them up.....Darren was still intoxicated, I think.....but they rallied to go to the beach. We took tram 5 to the Athens beach strip, hopped off and stripped down to enjoy some afternoon sun. Darren swam in the cold Mediterranean, Molly napped and I people watched. I have decided most Greek men are vain. There were more men at the beach oiled up in speedos than woman. Some men rotated like chickens on a spit to get an even tan. They faced north for awhile, then south, probably equal time. I loved Darren even more, for his white skin, swimming in his boxers, laying without a towel in the sand, hungover......

We watched a guy catch an octopus off the rocks. He brought it out of the water and banged its head on the rocks over and over, making a loud smashing sound. Once dead, he brought it over for show and tell. I thought he wanted me to buy it from him, but luckily, the restaurant must have and he let me be.

I had my third version of Moussaka that night, trying to find the best in Greece. Haven't found the perfect one, so I guess I will have to keep trying.