Saturday, November 14, 2009

Middle Age





























I was so thrilled to meet somebody my age staying in the hostel last night. Patti was celebrating her 48th birthday in Prague ( she stayed in the “Hotel Poop” the night prior, which was made famous by Queen Latifah in the movie, The Last Holiday). She had been travelling for 2 months with a year of world exploration planned. An interesting woman from Kelowna, Canada, she was recently divorced , sold her yoga studio and created a vision of a personal pilgrimage to unknown lands. I so admire her resolve to travel solo and her ability to be open minded to what lies ahead. We bonded immediately, both of us thirsty for conversation with another adult, in English. We visited a long time and made plans to spend the following day together.


We met in the morning at the free internet station in the hostel…..”where friends meet friends”……and took off for coffee and pastries down the street. Then we headed to the old part of the city and just walked and wandered for hours. The theme of the day was architecture and buildings and I couldn’t stop taking pictures of some of the most amazing facades and fancily ornate and painted buildings. I believe Prague was one of the few Eastern European cities with minor damage from WWII bombings. We visited one odd structure; a building called ‘The Dancing Building’ and also referred to as the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers building. I think I would have motion sickness if I worked in that place.


Patti and I continued along the river and stopped for a Thai lunch in Czechoslovakia which seemed out of character, but was tasty and authentic and a refreshing flavor after the heavy meals of the bohemians in the eastern tradition. It was getting colder and colder as we walked on across the Charles Bridge again and up to the castle where I had found out about a concert. We bought tickets to a 7 piece string concert with the musicians playing Mozart, Vivaldi and Paccabel……I am not usually a classical music fan and most often just drift off to sleep. However, this night, we were in a stone church, in the castle, on the top of a hill, in Prague. The music was lovely and touching and regardless of the comforting nature and relaxed sounds, I never fell asleep…..it was just too cold. How the fingers of the musicians worked, I do not know, as they played in wool coats and puffy down jackets.


We walked home in sprinkles as it started to rain. It was so cold. I was, and am, still hoping for snow. Worn out from walking all day, I joined Molly and friend, Louis for dinner and then headed off to bed.