Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Freudian Slip





























Our first full day in Vienna I hit hard.....plus I felt good enough to do so. Molly had hit it hard the night before so she missed out on the morning adventure......

It is cold and grey here. No rain this particular morning. Snow last week. The fresh air feels so good to me, I embrace it and it gives me energy. I walk a half hour to the Saturday market. A huge Pike Place Market style, outdoor smorgasboard for those of strong stomaches. On Saturdays, the locals add on a flea market with antiques, collectibles, junk, used clothes, fur coats, military gear, even violins. I found beads from Turkey and India, here in Vienna. Similar to the beads I bought in Bathe, England a few years ago.....beads from Arizona...... The foods at the market were amazing....fresh pastas, hot mulled wine, sausages and dried fish, spices in bulk, fruits I had never seen, olives stuffed with everything, prepared antipastas, turkish delight, bread, every fresh item you could need. I am still surviving on plain bread and gatorade.......so I missed the delicacies of the day, but hope to get back.

I met up with Molly in the afternoon to go to the Sigmund Freud museum....she had done a paper about his dream studies in high school. Freud spent 30 years living in the building we visited in Vienna. It is where he did his most notable work in psychoanalysis, writing and patient research. He brainstormed with Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali and other great thinkers of the time. His published writings were burned by the Nazi .He was of Jewish decent and exiled in 1938 to London where he died of cancer one year later. This quote was interesting:

"We have been led to distinguish two kinds of drives: those which seek to lead what is living to death, and others, the sexual drives, which are perpetually attempting and achieving a renewal of life"

Ponder that.

I slipped in dogshit on the way back to the hostel. I called it a Freudian Slip. Ponder that.