Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm a Hostel girl....in a Hostel world.........
















After memorizing the layout and colors, inch by inch, of our room in Bratislava.....after visiting the WC (toilet in English) approximately 78 times.....after 8 cans of sprite, 2 poweraids, 4 waters and some chicken soup........after 56 hours of sleep.....after finishing my book.........after watching the Berlin MTV awards..........we left Slovakia on the train to Vienna.......I was still in poor condition from the flu bug. That is how I will remember Bratislava, unfortunately.

My patience was at an all time low when we hit Vienna. Lower still when I determined I was at the train station across town from our hostel. I had lost all my tourism positivism and just wanted something to be easy!!!!!!!!!!! We had to take a tram across town. Then we walked in a few circles, until asking directions and eventually made it to our hostel on some random back alley in what seemed like the middle of no where. (We should be used to that by now, many of the hostels are hidden gems inside what appear to be shabby, old, odd location spots.)

You walk in Hotel Ruthensteiner "the friendly hostel" and it has this cute little alpine sign outside......inside is a hostel the size of a small city. 180 beds. Bathrooms on every corner (I can use every one of them if I want!). A bar that has happy hour from 7-8 and is open until 12. Washers, dryers, big kitchen, piano, guitars, book exchange, games, lots of people and as it turns out, is in a really good location. I was so excited, I went to bed again.

I have changed into a hosteler. An older version, but still a hosteler. I have gotten used to small rooms, insignificant pillows, a bathroom down the hall and a shower the size of matchbox. I am fine with hearing the comings and goings of fellow hostelians (is that a word?) and great at sitting around a breakfast table in my jammies without a care regarding who comes in to the room next. I am used to collecting coins for the laundry and figuring out mysterious machines. I like the secret passwords to get in, the key systems, the 24 hour staff at your beck and call. I like that you can get a private room for two for about $50 a night. I am thinking, if it is just me, maybe I can get away with a $30 a night room, an average of 30 days a month......say $900 a month...No utilities, no repairs and maintenance, no yardcare, no material possessions. Just a thought.

Being in a hostel is similar to living in my neighborhood. We all have our own space, but we have a great space in common (the hostel lounge is being likened to our community beach). When I want my privacy, I go to my room or stay in my house. When I need some social interaction and feel like creating a party, I can go to the hostel lounge or my beach. I am thinking I will be content in a retirement home in my old age..........